What is detox and why might you need to do it?
Detoxification means the removal of toxic substances. Our bodies are usually good at doing this and your GP will tell you that there is no need to do anything to help your body to detox – but the modern world now exposes us to more toxic elements and many people have chronic illness too, which makes detox much more difficult.
If you are holding more toxins than your body can cope with, you are likely to develop symptoms like acne, fatigue, IBS, headaches or migraines, joint pains, nausea, period problems in women, itchy skin or un-refreshing sleep.
Whether or not your bodies detox functions can keep up with eliminating the toxins you are exposed to every day, depends on several factors:
- How much toxicity are you being exposed to
- How healthy and functional your detox organs are
- Whether your intake of nutrients needed for detox function is enough for you
There are many toxic substances we are exposed to – you can read more about these in the “Top 10 Things” and “Electro- smog” articles our blog:
- Chemicals in beauty products
- Chemicals in foods
- Dry cleaning fluids
- Electromagnetic radiation
Environmental chemicals like
- General cleaning products
- Heavy metals like aluminium, antimony, lead and mercury
- Infections – bacteria, viruses and parasites all create their own waste
Think of your body like a long tube where things come in at the top end and leave at the bottom end. Things go in the top through breathing, eating and drinking. Things go out the bottom through the kidneys and the bowel. Things go in and out through the skin as well. If there is a restriction anywhere between the top end and the bottom end then you can’t detox well. You need to remove the restrictions from the bottom end first.
All of us have some restrictions, so giving our body some detox support once or twice a year is a good idea for everyone. A 7-10 day detox in the autumn and the spring is ideal
If you are in generally good health then follow this programme:
- Take Nature’s Wisdom detox powders and the detox support homeopathic remedy. The remedy stimulates your body to released stored toxins and the powders absorb the toxins as they are released so they can be eliminated more easily.
- Drink at least 2 liters of water a day
- Have no caffeine or alcohol
- Eat 8 portions of vegetables a day – preferably organic – lightly cooked or raw
- Have no sugar, wheat or processed foods
- Limit fruit to one piece a day and red meat to 2 times a week
- Take some gentle exercise daily – 5 minutes of rebounding / skipping and 20 minutes plus of walking, swimming or biking
- Go to bed earlier and sleep longer – don’t set an alarm when possible.
If you have chronic illness:
Supporting your body to detox can be a constant challenge if you have a chronic illness, especially if you are taking pharmaceutical medicines or fighting a chronic infection.
Both things add to your toxic load and make it harder for your detox organs to function effectively.
The detox supports that will work best for you are dependent on which organs need the most support to function well again. It is easier to improve detox if you support the organs and systems in this order: sleep, bowel, liver, hydration and then lymph.
There is much more information about how to do this in the recovery programme modules on NTA
Bio-available nutrition and buffering supplements are the last elements to be aware of when supporting detox during chronic illness.
Many nutrients, especially minerals are needed in much higher daily amounts than the standard recommended daily allowances.
It is important to make sure that you are taking very good quality and easily absorbable nutrients every day.
There are also supplements that can be used as buffers – that means they suck up toxins so they can be eliminated more easily.
We have our own range of 100% natural food source supplements, which we have developed with our traditional herbalist over the last 15 years. The formulas are designed with the best quality ingredients and are combined so that you should only need to take 2 or 3 products, rather than 10-15 individual supplements.
All products are available through our website: www.natureswisdomuk.com
Our main detox supporting products are:
- Activated Charcoal Oil – this product is a version of the new carbon 60 type oil – it is far better at absorbing toxins than standard activated charcoal and it doesn’t absorb nutrients, only toxic elements
- Chelation support powders – these powders include psyllium husk, titanium clay and calcium so they are very efficient buffers of heavy metal toxins
- Cilantro and hemp detox oil – cilantro is recommended for heavy metal toxicity and hemp is very high in natural ALAs making it a good support for EMF toxicity too.
- Detox support infusion – drink this herbal tea 3 times a day for general detox support – it includes a combination of herbs that stimulate detox
- Detox support powders – these powders include psyllium husk and titanium clay as well as flax seeds making them suitable for detox support of different toxic elements.
- Methylation and sulphation support powders – provide the specific nutrients needed by people who have restricted detoxification pathways. They include Neem, MSM, CoQ10 and choline.
- Lymph herbal support tincture – provides a combination of herbs that support better lymph function
- Nutrient support powders – provide every vitamin and mineral needed in just a 5mls twice daily dose
The LymeCo Balance powders – are a nutrient support with chlorella for people with chronic Lyme.
All the products are available in various sizes on our website: www.natureswisdomuk.com
Homeopathic medicines to support all the detox organs are also available. You can order them on the bespoke page of www.natureswisdomuk.com
Our main detox support remedy combinations are:
- Regular bowel support
- Hydration supportDetox support
General sleep remedy
Liver and gallbladder support
- Lymph support
Homeopathic remedies can also be used to stimulate elimination of specific toxins – like heavy metals, fungal or bacterial toxins, radiation and artificial hormones – as long as the detox organs have been supported in this way then the elimination will be successful.
If you are able to support all the above, then even in chronic illness your body will be able to eliminate toxins.